• Managing Your Risk of Asbestos Exposure

    It typically takes a significant amount of asbestos exposure in the Bay Area to develop symptoms, but you don’t want to take any chances when it comes to asbestos. Certain people are at greater risk than others. If you are at an elevated risk for asbestos exposure, you should know how to manage that risk. This can help keep you safe and healthy, protecting you from serious health issues like asbestosis. Continue reading for a look at how you can manage your risk of asbestos exposure.

     Asbestos Exposure

    What many people don’t realize about asbestos exposure is that idle asbestos shouldn’t be a problem. It is only once the asbestos is disturbed that it presents a threat to your health, because you can inhale the tiny fibers. If you know you have asbestos in your house and would like to make your home safer for you and your family, call a remediation professional to take care of the problem. Make sure you hire a quality professional who can fully meet your needs. If you encounter asbestos exposure in the workplace, make sure you follow all of the appropriate guidelines. It’s important that your company complies with local asbestos laws for maximum safety.

  • A Surprising Look at Lead Poisoning in Oakland

    When you think of Flint, Michigan, you might be reminded of the problems the area has been having with water quality. Thanks to lead based paint in the Bay Area , a certain area of Oakland is actually in the same kind of trouble. Take a look at this video clip and take a surprising look at lead poisoning in Oakland.

    The Fruitvale area of Oakland, as well as the neighborhoods surrounding it, has been dealing with an increase in lead content in the water. This is due in part to the use of lead in residential paints, which is still a significant problem in older homes. Combined with industrial pollutants and aging piping, this paint problem has infiltrated the water system. Lead is particularly hazardous to children and can cause learning disabilities, but enough exposure can cause a range of symptoms like anemia and pain in the abdomen in people of all ages.

  • The Homeowner’s Guide to Mold Remediation

    If you’ve never dealt with a mold problem before, you might have no idea how to go about mold remediation in the Bay Area. It’s helpful to understand how, why, and where mold grows, as knowing where to look can prepare you to seek remediation sooner rather than later. Once you’ve worked with your mold inspection and remediation professional to set up a treatment plan, you should know how to keep mold out of the house. Read on for a quick look at the homeowner’s guide to mold remediation.

    Understanding Mold Mold Remediation

    The more you know about what it takes for mold to grow, the more you can do to take care of the problem. Mold thrives in damp, warm areas and can form on everything from carpets and upholstery to ceiling tiles, wallpaper, and insulation. Until you seek mold remediation, your mold problem will continue to bring down your indoor air quality. This can be an issue for anyone in the house with allergies or asthma. If you want to maintain your indoor air quality and keep your home healthy and fresh, you shouldn’t wait to undergo mold testing.

    Seeking Remediation

    If you have just noticed a small amount of mold on the walls for the first time, you can probably clean it up yourself. When you undergo mold testing and discover a significant problem, you should probably have the professionals deal with it. In addition to the health hazards that mold presents, you might deal with property damage if you have an established problem. Subpar mold remediation services could end up making the problem worse rather than better, so try to find a quality company that has a track record of success.

    Keeping the Problem Under Control

    Once you have called the professionals for mold remediation, do what you can to prevent the mold from returning. Invest in a dehumidifier so you can control the humidity in your living space, and take care of plumbing leaks right away. Ask your mold remediation professionals what else you can do to make sure you get rid of your mold problem for good.

  • Breaking Down Myths About Lead Exposure

    Lead exposure is a real threat that can have devastating effects on your health. Unfortunately, there is a great deal of confusion surrounding lead based paint and lead poisoning symptoms in the Bay Area. You may have heard that lead exposure only affects children or that lead poisoning symptoms don’t even exist anymore. Some believe that the only way for a child to experience lead poisoning symptoms is by ingesting lead paint chips. If you are interested in breaking down these lead exposure myths and learning the truth, read ahead.

    Myth: Lead exposure only affects children. Professional Inspection in San Francisco, CA

    People often associate lead poisoning symptoms with children. In reality, people of all ages can be susceptible to lead exposure, and anyone can develop lead poisoning symptoms. This association between children and lead exposure exists because symptoms can be more severe in children, and kids may be more likely to accidentally experience lead exposure. For children, lead poisoning symptoms could include learning and developmental disabilities, which may have a substantial impact on their quality of life. In adults, symptoms may include fatigue, constipation, pain in the joints, or headaches and insomnia.

    Myth: There is no more lead poisoning.

    Lead poisoning is still very much a threat in today’s society. Some people are under the impression that it’s not, because lead is no longer used in paint products. While it’s true that lead is no longer being actively used, there is still plenty of lead paint in many of today’s homes. If your home was built just a few decades ago, you might want to look into lead based paint removal. Even if you’re not sure when your home was built, it’s always better to be safe.

    Myth: Kids who don’t eat paint chips won’t get lead poisoning.

    Children have developed lead poisoning symptoms from eating lead based paint chips, but this is not the only way lead exposure happens. If you’re remodeling your home or even just doing some spring cleaning, you could disturb existing lead based paint. In doing so, you might introduce lead particles into the air, and your children might breathe them in.