• Why Lead Paint Removal Isn’t a DIY Job

    Today, many homeowners are taking on do-it-yourself projects to help save on home maintenance costs. While this approach can be practical in some cases, it can be dangerous in others. If you need lead-based paint removal in the Bay Area , then read on to learn why this task should be left to the professionals.

    Lead paint removal is highly regulated. Why Lead Paint Removal Isn't a DIY Job

    A federal regulation known as the Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule outlines a strict protocol for minimizing and containing paint dust for homes built before lead-based paint was banned in the U.S. in 1978. The lead abatement process is designed to eliminate the lead-based paint hazards in a building, and it can involve techniques that even many residential contractors are unable to perform. Investing in professional lead removal by hiring a fully licensed and certified company helps ensure that the job will be completed properly. Furthermore, favoring professional lead-based paint removal over a DIY job can help protect you from expensive fines from municipalities or regulatory agencies.

    Lead paint poses a threat to children.

    Lead paint removal is regulated with good reason. Lead poisoning occurs when lead accumulates in the body, and while this condition can affect anyone, it is particularly dangerous for children. Kids who are exposed to lead and have elevated levels of lead in their blood can suffer from nervous system damage, as well as behavioral and developmental problems in the future. The most common cause of lead poisoning in children is lead-based paint and lead-contaminated dust.

    DIY lead paint removal may expose you to lead.

    Lead gets into the body by being swallowed or inhaled. If you choose to take on the lead-based paint removal job yourself, then you may be risking lead exposure. Lead poisoning is dangerous for adults too and can cause symptoms such as mood disorders, high blood pressure, trouble with memory, and abnormal sperm or reduced sperm count. For pregnant women, lead poisoning can result in still birth, premature birth, or miscarriage. For the sake of your health and that of your family, consider hiring professionals for lead paint removal.

  • What to Do When You Notice Symptoms of Asbestos Exposure in Your Family

    Asbestos is a mineral that has been used in a wide range of building materials. Exposure to asbestos fibers can lead to conditions like asbestosis, some symptoms of which include a cracking sound when breathing, difficulty swallowing, swelling of the face or neck, and respiratory problems. If your family is exhibiting signs of asbestos exposure in the Bay Area , then keep reading to learn what steps to take next.

    See a Doctor Asbestos Exposure

    Breathing in asbestos fibers over a long period of time can increase the risk of health problems like asbestosis, as well as mesothelioma and lung cancer. Your doctor may perform tests to measure the lung function of your family members and look for signs of cancer. After evaluating your family, your doctor will inform you whether he believes that you have been exposed to asbestos and what options are available for treatment or management, if necessary.

    Schedule an Inspection

    Next, it’s important to learn whether there is asbestos in your home. To do this, hire a certified asbestos inspector. The inspector will examine your home for materials that may contain asbestos and take samples to be tested in a lab. If the lab results come back positive for asbestos, then the inspector may recommend asbestos abatement for your home.

    Call an Abatement Team

    If you learn that your home contains asbestos and are advised to have the dangerous mineral removed, then you should proceed by contacting an abatement company that is licensed and certified to perform asbestos removal. Once the abatement team arrives, the members will begin the asbestos removal process by sealing off the area and setting up air filtration devices. Then, the team will dampen all the asbestos-containing materials and remove them. Next, if possible, the contaminated area will be sealed to help prevent the chance of future problems. Lastly, the materials will be placed in containers and taken to a landfill. Following the asbestos removal, the team will perform a post-abatement decontamination and inspection to complete the process.

  • Why Lead Paint Is Harmful Long After the Paint Dries

    Lead is a naturally occurring element that can be toxic to people and pets. Lead is found in many parts of your everyday environment, and it has also been used in a wide range of household products and materials, such as batteries, ceramics, pipes, and paint. For homes built before 1978, when lead-containing paint was banned for consumer use, there is a decent chance that they contain lead-based paint. If there is a chance that your home contains this material, then consider scheduling services for testing and lead-based paint removal in the Bay Area .

    Lead-based paint poses a danger long after the paint dries, because the toxic element is still present. More significantly, the wear and tear that affects the painted surface over time can lead to peeling paint and airborne paint dust. Because children and pets may touch, lick, or chew on surfaces that are contaminated by lead-based paint, paint chips, or paint dust, it’s important for the health of your family that any lead-based paint be detected and contained or removed.

    Why Lead Paint Is Harmful Long After the Paint Dries

  • How Do You Know When Lead Is Present?

    If you’re wondering if your home may contain lead-based paint in the Bay Area , then you may be interested in discovering how you can tell if lead is present in a material. Watch this video to learn how to know when something is made of lead.

    First, many older metal materials are made with lead. Second, something made from lead may seem unusually heavy, and its color may also give it away. Third, lead is very soft, so it can be dented easily and will transfer onto other materials. To test if something metal is made of lead, try dragging it across a piece of paper. If the item leaves a mark, then lead is probably present.