• What Schools and Daycare Providers Need to Know About Lead

    Lead is dangerous to everyone, of course, but it is particularly hazardous for children. That’s why buildings such as schools and daycare centers need to take extra precautions to ensure that the children there are not exposed to lead. Bay Area buildings that were constructed prior to the 1980s may have lead-based paint , which must be professionally removed or contained to prevent a serious health hazard. Here’s what you need to know:

    Damaged paint poses the biggest problem. Lead

    In many cases, the lead-based paint in a building has been painted over many times. If the paint remains intact and is not deteriorating, it usually does not pose an immediate health threat to anyone. In cases where the paint has started to deteriorate, or where it is weathering, peeling, or chipping, the risk of contact with lead is much higher. If your building was built before 1978, you should have it tested for possible lead presence.

    High-contact areas are a concern.

    Lead is most dangerous when it is in places that are frequently touched by people. In schools and daycare centers, these areas may include stair rails, doors, window sills, and porch railings. If a child puts his or her mouth on something that contains any quantity of lead, it can cause serious harm. Toys, bottles, and other objects that children use should always be washed if they have fallen on the ground.

    Regular inspections are a must.

    It’s important for schools and daycare centers to do periodic inspections for lead, focusing on the places that are most likely to contain it, such as painted walls and doors. Playground equipment, which is often painted, should also be inspected for possible lead. Even the soil in playgrounds should be checked for lead, as lead dust can easily be tracked there. Finally, all drinking water fountains should be tested for lead.

  • How We Ensure Your Safety During Asbestos Abatement

    If you’re having your Bay Area home professionally treated for asbestos, you may be wondering if you have any need to fear for your well-being during the process. At Environmental Remedies, Inc. , we take very thorough precautions to protect the health and safety of our customers and their families. First, we’ll identify the area that needs work, then seal it to keep the rest of your property safe. We use air filtration devices to ensure that tiny asbestos fibers don’t get into your indoor air and put your health at risk. Then, our team will remove as much of the contaminated material as possible, using a sealant to treat any material that can’t be removed. We’ll place all the asbestos-containing materials in leak-proof containers, remove them from your property, and safely dispose of them. Finally, we will wipe down all surfaces and do a final lab test to make sure that there is no trace of asbestos remaining in your home.


  • What Exactly Is Asbestos?

    Asbestos is something that almost everyone has heard of, but not everyone is clear on what it is. You may have heard that it is a dangerous substance that can often be found in older buildings, and you may know that it is resistant to fire. Asbestos is a mineral that humans have been mining and using for thousands of years. It wasn’t until relatively recently, however, that we discovered how hazardous the substance is to our health. If you inhale fine asbestos fibers, it can have serious consequences, including making you more likely to develop cancer. That’s why professional asbestos abatement is so critical if you think that you may have the mineral in the walls of your Bay Area home. Watch this informative video to learn more about asbestos.

  • Get the Facts About Bird Breeder’s Lung

    Biological contaminants can be just as harmful to the health as asbestos or lead. If your Bay Area home’s indoor air has been contaminated by mold or other biological materials, it’s essential that you call a professional to have it contained and removed. Bird Breeder’s Lung is one of the most common health hazards that can come as a result of exposure to these materials. Here is a brief guide to this condition and how you can avoid it:

    What is Bird Breeder’s Lung? Facts About Bird Breeder's Lung in the Bay Area

    Bird Breeder’s Lung is the common name for hypersensitivity pneumonitis, also known as allergic alveolitis. The condition develops when a person’s lungs become inflamed because they have had an allergic reaction to dust particles that they have breathed in. This usually happens as a result of prolonged exposure to the dust.

    What causes Bird Breeder’s Lung?

    As the name suggests, the condition often happens to people who have been working with birds because they have breathed in particles from bird droppings. However, it can also result from exposure to a wide range of other materials, including mold, chemical fumes and paints. It can even happen when a person is working with materials not usually considered dangerous, such as wood pulp and cheese casings.

    What are the signs of Bird Breeder’s Lung?

    People who have an acute version of the condition may experience temporary cough, headache, and chest tightness during exposure to the materials. If the condition worsens, it can cause abnormal breathing rates, labored breathing, chronic fatigue, and other serious issues.

    Is Bird Breeder’s Lung dangerous?

    Yes. If you don’t take steps to stop your exposure to the harmful materials, it can result in permanent damage to your health.

    How can I prevent Bird Breeder’s Lung?

    You can reduce your risk of conditions such as Bird Breeder’s Lung by working to keep your indoor air as clean as possible, using tools such as air purifiers. You should also make sure that your A/C vents stay clean and free of dust and mold. If your building’s air is already contaminated, however, your best move is to have it removed by an experienced professional.